Sunday 1 May 2011

Second Breakfast - Peanut Butter & Banana Muffins

My first breakfast this morning was delicious - a smoothie that I shared with the children consisting of frozen blueberries, banana, spinach, cocoa powder, milk and Sweet Freedom...


topped with a small serving of chocolate granola for some crunch...


This was really good. Better than the last time I made the blueberry version. I think because I put the blueberries into the blender first, so they were at the bottom, they blitzed up smoother. The Cocoa Raspberry "Pudding" Smoothie is still my favourite, but this is now on par with the cherry version.

Despite this delicious first breakfast, I decided to make a second one. I was browsing through a breakfast recipe booklet I got at the Exeter Food Festival yesterday (full review of my fantastic day in case you missed it)...


There were loads of great recipes in this - which can be found on the website - I particularly like the look of the Hot Chocolate & Raspberry Shake and the Cinnamon Bagels with Fruit and Oat Compote. But the recipe I knew I needed to make today was for Banana & Peanut Butter Muffins. You can see the full recipe on the site, but I altered it slightly to reduce the sugar, increase the amount of oats and use coconut oil instead of butter (I'm still all out!). This is what I did...

Banana & Peanut Butter Muffins (adapted from Shake Up Your Wake Up)
(makes 13)
  • 200g self-raising flour
  • 50g oats (I doubled it to account for sweetener being liquid)
  • 50g Sweet Freedom (reduced and replaced sugar)
  • 3 medium ripe bananas
  • 100g crunchy peanut butter
  • 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
  • 25g coconut oil, melted until liquid if necessary
  • 110ml milk (again reduced to account for wet/dry changes)
  1. Preheat the oven to 200C, Gas Mark 6 (I did Fan 170C as that is the temp I always use for muffins - adjust for your own oven)
  2. Line 12/13 muffin holes with cases (I used a 12 hole muffin tin, plus 2 mini silicone muffin cases)
  3. Dry bowl: Sift flour into a bowl and mix with oats
  4. In separate wet bowl: mash bananas, then mix with eggs, Sweet Freedom, peanut butter, oil and milk
  5. Pour wet bowl into dry bowl and mix until ingredients are combined (don't over mix but equally there shouldn't be any dry flour left)
  6. Spoon muffins into cases and bake for 20 minutes (check on them - I should have perhaps taken mine out a few minutes earlier)
These smelt so great when they came out of the oven...




and I ate one straight away spread with blueberry jam (note to self: if you don't wait for muffins to cool, they won't peel away from the case very prettily!!)...


The blueberry jam went so well with this (blueberry + bananas = good, pb + jam = good, so this combo was bound to be great!), I like that, presumably due to reducing the sugar content in the recipe, these were less of a sweet cake product and more of a breakfast muffin to be topped with jam, yum! I also love the peanut pieces in them, although it does mean that Liam won't eat them, so I'll have to put some of them in the freezer before I gobble up the whole batch!


Fantastic texture as well, soft and spongy and fresh...I do love baking! :)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...