Sunday 17 July 2011

Sunday Morning = Coffee & Crumpets

On Friday, our wedding presents were delivered! :-D We only had a small gift list as most people chose to give us money or choose a present themselves, but a few people had requested a gift list to give them ideas. We were overwhelmed with everything that we received - our friends and family were so generous! One of the presents we were given was a coffee maker. I was very excited to try it out this morning. Sunday mornings can be a little trying in our house - Liam starts work at 7am, and the kids always seem to wake up even earlier than usual - or maybe it just feels like that because I know that around the country people are enjoying Sunday morning lie-ins! Today's early start was made a bit more bearable by this beauty though...


Mmmm, coffee...


I used this coffee as I had a sample sitting in the cupboard...


but I need to go to Waitrose later to buy some more ground coffee. Any suggestions? It's only the last few months that I've started drinking coffee so I'm a bit clueless!

Breakfast this morning was a good one - my 2nd mug of coffee with 2 crumpets - one with black cherry jam, and one with coconut butter...


Yum. I haven't had crumpets in ages! Both were delicious but I actually preferred the one with black cherry jam. I think I prefer the coconut butter on cold things like smoothies or cereal - I'm not so keen on the claggy/gritty texture it has when melted on warm things - good to experiment though!

The rest of this weekend has been pretty uneventful thanks to the rain - it's so horrible outside! Yesterday I didn't take a single photo of food that I ate...I always know the day's eating hasn't been so good when everything is too random and/or boring to photograph! Last night's dinner was actually delicious, but it was leftovers from Friday night. As per daughter's request, we had "that layered thing" - that'll be roast vegetable & lentil lasagne then!


I love this so much - comforting, but full of goodness from all the veggies and lentils.


Tasty too! Daughter is loving having more control over what we eat for dinner recently - she also chose the pasta bake we ate on Wednesday, and next week she wants cauliflower curry as well as another pasta bake...sounds good to me! :)

As well as receiving our wedding gifts, we also received our fruit & veg box on Friday. We haven't had one for a while as I'd postponed them during all the wedding chaos, being away on honeymoon etc. To be honest, I'd forgotten all about it until the confirmation email came through on Wednesday! There were some great products in this week's box though...


Lots of nectarines, bananas, pink lady apples and a melon...


lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms and cucumber...


and finally potatoes, cauliflower, peppers, red onions, broccoli and candy beetroot...


Apparently the candy beetroot has pink and white circles through it when cut open. I like that our veg box provides seasonal produce, but usually puts in one more 'unusual' ingredient - another one I remember having was graffiti aubergine. It's a great way to discover new vegetables!

We've already used the peppers and the mushrooms in the lasagne, so now I need to plan some meals this week to make sure everything else gets used up. I hate wasting food, so find meal planning really helpful - otherwise if Liam had his way we'd live on baked beans on toast & pizza!! It's a good idea to have a healthy alternative in mind for his inevitable "what's for dinner?" question each evening!

Do you write a meal plan, or do you decide on the day what you feel like eating? I write a list on my phone of dinner ideas for the week, but switch it around if I don't fancy what is written down, or indeed if daughter has a better suggestion!

3 comments:

  1. I have seen candy beetroot before but only in photos! Always looks so pretty!
    We always plan our meals each week- before we order our shopping. It means we do not have stuff that goes to waste and normally avoid those pops to the shop when you want something and realise you have not got the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your veg box looks lovely!
    Filter coffee machines = the best thing in the entire world. Mine is packed away at the moment and it's so sad :(
    I meal plan when I'm in uni as I don't have time to nip to the shops all the time but right now I'm just going with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo - shiny coffee machine :-) I'm not a coffee drinker, so I can't give you any advice on what's good.
    I have just started meal planning, just to make sure that I use up what I've bought. I haven't managed to faithfully stick to it yet though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...